Wednesday, October 9, 2019

CorelliWorld Priest in Markers 1987


In the ancient year of 1987 art suppliers were just beginning to create big sets of markers for sketches and layouts. Naturally I bought as many as I could (My Motto More Markers) and created a number of sketchy concept pieces until the markers dried out (an early problem with these). I did many fantasy characters and scenes including this one from the perennial "Ardath," depicting an ancient priest from a pagan setting. Corelli correctly identified Ardath society as multi-religious, with traditions ranging from the orgiastic animal-centered religion of Lysia to the royal ceremonies of the King and Court, to the strict pre-Christian Prophetic Mentality of Khosrul. There were also more ritualistic forms such as the one "Zel" believes and practices. He wears the silver cloak and moon-crescent mitre of his near-monotheistic Sky God as well as the Wand of Wings, which he holds here.

Now that I have more markers than the entire priestly graphic design studio of Ardath, I might wave the wand for more concept art.

Markers on Bristol illustration board, 4" x 7", 1987.

No comments: