Saturday, October 5, 2019

Popocatepetl at Peet's


I announce a major moment in my artistic life. A volcano has erupted in Fairfax County, just at the pinnacle of Tysons Corner, Virginia. Here is the view from Peet's Coffee Shop, a place I frequent. What, no volcano? What eruption? Actually, the Moment I am babbling about is the completion of my sketchbook full of drawings, 2013-2019. This isn't the only sketchbook I drew in, but this is the one I schlep around with me to make on-site drawings. Some of them will be in my wine book.

So what's with the volcano? The sketchbook was created from a de-commissioned high school book about volcanic geology. Blank sketch pages were wired together with leftover text and illustrations. The illustrations were done in a very nice pen and ink style, though their chapter about human sacrifice was rather embarrassing. The title of the sketchbook is "Volcanoes in Action."

We (the editorial "We") now proceed to open another sketchbook. This new one will have black ink, and its cover will feature an ornate elevation of the facade of the Renwick Gallery in nearby Washington, DC.

Sepia brown tech pen on sketchbook page, 4 1/2" x 7", October 4, 2019.

No comments: