Sunday, April 12, 2020

A Can of Worms


When I was young I lived near a lake, where my aunt and her family had a little bit of open shore. We spent our summers boating and fishing in the lake. Our fishing gear was simple, a pole, hook, bobber, and bait. The bait was worms, either dug up from our gardens as "red wigglers" or bought as "farmed" worms called "nightcrawlers." Before this sounds too idyllic, I managed the bait supply which involved cutting up nightcrawlers while they were still alive. As a kid, I didn't think that these creatures could feel pain and suffer. And I didn't think that a hooked fish could suffer, either. The fish in the lake were not good to eat so our catch-and-release was purely for sport. The red wigglers went into a tin can which was shown among the youngsters in my school in an attempt to disgust the more ladylike of our classroom types. Nowadays I probably would not use live bait considering that worms and fish suffer too.

Black tech pens on sketchbook page, 4 1/2" x 4", April 10 - 11, 2020.

No comments: