Monday, April 13, 2020

Karl Ehrlich Portrait 1993


I draw portraits in ink, with no preliminary pencil sketch. I am proud of myself that I can do this without making a caricature or losing the likeness. Also, ink portraits go faster and give me and the subject instant gratification. People at conventions ask for portraits. I keep the original drawing and send them a good copy. This is a typical sample of my portraitizing. It was done at Disclave 1993, a Washington DC-Maryland convention. Karl Ehrlich was one of my "patrons," someone who liked my work and bought many original pieces of mine. I get to talk to my clients too and find out things about them. Karl was a "military systems engineer," working on missile launchers. To put it simply, he was a rocket scientist. The logo on his shirt shows that he went to Arizona State University, or was currently based there. With portraits I also got to modify whatever the subject wished to change. Karl was a portly gentleman, and at his request I was able to decrease his payload while not altering his basic image.

Sepia brown tech pen on sketchbook page, 5" x 6", May 28,1993.

No comments: