Saturday, April 11, 2020

Historic Iris 1992


This magnificent blue iris flower came from the Thomas garden farm in Fairfax, Virginia. Margaret Thomas, the "Iris Lady," owned and managed the farm. In May, the farm was a fabulous sight beloved by gardeners and artists alike. You can read about the Thomas farm in this vintage article from the Fairfax Times. 

I visited the garden many times and took dozens of photographs which I used as inspiration for my mid-90s flower pictures. This image was done from the real thing. One May I was sketching blooms at the farm and Mrs. Thomas came up to me to see my art in progress. I told her I loved the blue flowers the most, and she snapped this full blossom off the plant and gave it to me. I was astonished at her generosity - you're not supposed to remove any of the irises until Mrs. Thomas sells them to you for your garden! In her honor I did this study of her gift.

Colored pencils on sketchbook page, 6" x 8", May 18, 1992.

No comments: