Saturday, May 16, 2020

Artist Esther Geller in studio 1997


These drawings are of my mother, artist Esther Geller. In late 1997 I visited her in her studio, and drew an interior image of the painting-filled workshop in the center of Natick, Massachusetts. In these two sketches Esther is not painting, but creating colorful bead necklaces of semi-precious stones and metal accents. Mother gave me dozens of them which I still wear to honor her and appreciate their beauty.

Esther wears a hair bun and did for most of her life. This was a heritage of her early history as a dancer, where the ladies wear upswept buns. My mother was always aware of fashion and color in her attire. She passed away in October of 2015.

Esther Geller was born in 1921, so her centennial memorial will be next year. I hope I can set up some kind of archival memorial for her. Some of her best material is already online and you can see it here at Flicker.

The dark area to the left in this sketch is the shadow of where the book bends. I decided to keep it as a pictorial shade element.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 5 1/2" x 8 1/2", December 29, 1997.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Your mother's work is really good.