Friday, May 15, 2020

The Old Back Yard 1997


I visited my folks in Massachusetts in the last days of December 1997, a voyage I made often. I'm glad I don't have to do those trips again. Nevertheless, New England will always be a memorable place for me. This image is of my parents' back yard. In previous days my father built bird nesting boxes all around the house and they were occupied by swallows, sparrows, chickadees, and other forest-habitat birds. I planted the pine tree in the background when I was 5 years old, and it grew into this big evergreen. Some years later a large limb broke off it due to snow weight. Fungus got into the tree and it eventually died. We left the leafless tree in place to provide more nesting and habitat places for more birds.

Colored pencils and a bit of ink, 5 1/2" x 8", December 27, 1997.

No comments: