Monday, May 4, 2020

Domes of Fire 1997-98


For me, the 1990s was probably my best era for artistic productivity, before I surrendered to necessity and got a day job. The rough sketches above are for the third of my ultra-detailed large fantasy city panorama paintings. All of my best works of the 1990s were private commissions (except some of my religious pieces). This one, "Domes of Fire," was based on a fabulous city appearing in a series by David Eddings. It was commissioned by a family of fans in Rockville, Maryland. I used spun glass Egyptian perfume bottles as inspiration and I created the landscape before I built the city.

Here's the city all finished in 1998. Original is acrylic on hardboard, 36" x 24".
Originally blogged here in June 2010. Click on image for a larger view.









No comments: