Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Spring Theory




Fancy physics makes good space art. You've got the warped planes (or "branes") of multidimensional space, the unspun cosmic strings, the multi-universal moon, and the background of visible "familiar" space. This is not really an Art By-Product, it is a fully Serious Art Product, but I might as well show it anyway. It's easy to do visual art that is inspired by advanced physics, but nearly impossible for the artist to do advanced physics. I've been trying to get past simple math for years. Artists can be physics groupies, making pretty things inspired by hard science. But in the case of string theory, not even the physicists have gone beyond pretty things to get something experimentally verified. Art doesn't have experimental results.

I did this piece in the spring of 2005, and called it "Spring Theory." I brought it to Balticon, where it was quickly snapped up by one of my regular collectors. The sketch for it was done digitally, in Corel Painter 7, but the final was done in acrylic.

"Spring Theory" is acrylic on canvas, 30" x 15, April 2005.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

I remember this one, I like it but I am not sure why. I hate math!