Thursday, January 1, 2015

Party People Welcome 2015


I go to the same party every New Year's Eve. Or rather, it's the same party held by the same people on the same date, but a different year. The hosts of this party got married, at the party, in 2001 so it's also their anniversary celebration. I usually bring something to sketch with so I have drawings from many iterations of this gathering. Nowadays you find a room of party people talking but all holding their cell phones at the same time. I didn't have mine so I drew pictures instead, as if it were 1915 rather than 2015. But I find the whole 20-- thing hard to realize anyway even if there has been 15 years of it by now.

I thought I had done no significant art in the forgettable year of 2014 and if you count art by size, that's probably true. But I did dozens, probably more than a hundred, little sketches and drawings in various sketchbooks, including winery drawings in color, which I am collecting for my next winery art book if I ever publish it. So I haven't been artistically inactive, just smaller. 

I wish all of you a creative and prosperous 2015, you never know what could happen.

Ink on sketchbook page, about 5 3/4" x 6", December 31, 2014.

No comments: