Saturday, January 10, 2015

Towers of Aither


This experimental mixed-media picture features things I hardly ever use in fantasy art: white ink on a dark background and spray metallic paint. The white ink is actually liquid acrylic which I daubed on my pen point with a brush. When it was dry I went over it with transparent acrylic to color it. The background clouds are done in colored pencil. The Gothic architecture is inspired by the British Houses of Parliament. 

I called it "Towers of Aither" because "aither" is Greek for "magical energy." It became the English word "ether." Although the painting was pretty, I never used this combination again, probably because it looked like a New Age greeting card.

"Towers of Aither" is mixed media on grey paper, 8" x 9 3/4", November 1998.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

The technique you used makes the buildings look like crystal, very cool.