Wednesday, June 10, 2015

She never knew she was a model


It was an unusually warm day in April 2002. I apologize if I've posted this before. The warmth brought me out of the studio and into the coffeeshop, Greenberry's in McLean, Virginia. I sipped indoors but the outdoor terrace was full of people including this graceful damsel in summer attire, reading while shading her eyes from the early warm sun, while listening to something on her headphones. With that level of unawareness of the world around her she never saw that someone was drawing her picture. She kept that pose for quite a long time, enough so that I was able to draw her in accurate detail. I wonder where she is now, 13 years later. And where am I now, 13 years later? Having done 11 years worth of work for Trader Joe's and innumerable small paintings and drawings. Is there more?

Brown tech pen ink on sketchbook page, 5 1/2" x 5", April 15, 2002.

No comments: