Saturday, June 6, 2015

Banjo Man


I attended an open-air concert in downtown Falls Church, where a line-up of local musicians played some bluegrass and some bouncy folk tunes. They played in front of a gift shop where I often browse. The gentleman with the banjo is Bobby Joe Small, who I depicted in 2013 as a concert-goer rather than a concert-giver. This was a farewell performance for him, since Bobby Joe and his wife are retiring and moving to Richmond, Virginia. Banjo man Bobby promised that he would be back to visit and play a gig or two. 

Also in my drawing, along with other members of the band, are identical twin sisters Emma and Miranda. In their white blouses and elegant long black skirts, I thought they might be servers at a fancy restaurant but they were actually dressed for an orchestra performance where both played clarinets.

Black technical pen ink on sketchbook page, 5" x 8", June 5, 2015.

No comments: