Monday, January 23, 2017

Golden Angel


This is inspired by Andrew Highfield's work with esoteric images, something I have been familiar with for many years. He is in the tradition of "Anglo" Kabbalah, where the Jewish  mystical images, symbols and practices are adapted to a non-Jewish, image-rich spiritual cosmos. This angel, which is not entirely humanoid, is based on Highfield's concept of the Archangel Raphael, equipped with a bow and arrows as well as biomorphic wings and a golden color scheme.

I'm also experimenting with mixed media design here. I did the initial drawing in light brown marker and then scanned it into Photoshop, where I colored it in. Photoshop allows me to get gradients and color layers without messing up the paper where the original design is. I will color the original with colored pencils or more markers. Once the original is colored in with pencil or other physical color, you can't re-color it without a lot of effort with Photoshop. But digital media gives me a much wider option.

Markers on sketchbook page and Photoshop, 8" x 4", January 23, 2017.



No comments: