Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Florence Piazza


My European art is stored in a portfolio which I brought back from the old house along with lots of other art. This portfolio is my best work from my European year 1975-1976 and this one is the best of the best. I sat for hours penciling in the architecture of this beautiful little piazza and then I painted it with watercolor when I got back to my lodging. This is somewhere in Florence. I did every brick and pavement tile separately to get the texture right. There were people in the square passing through while I was there but no one bothered me. I may have used a photo reference but I don't remember, all of it was on site in my reckoning. There are places like this in the USA (probably California) but there certainly isn't anything like it where I live now. Many years later (1990) I would work for an architectural illustration company painting highly detailed brick "McMansions" using this watercolor technique.

Watercolor on Canson watercolor paper, 8 1/2" x 12", spring 1976. Please click on the image for a larger view.

3 comments:

Mike (Altus) said...

Beautiful!

Gypsy Witch said...

For the first time ever... it's going to let me post! So with all the excitement of being allowed to say what I think, then I'm going to say - what Mike said! :)

Tristan Alexander said...

More of your sexy buildings! I swear no one can make a building seem alive like you can!