Tuesday, June 12, 2018

DarkoverCon 5 Cover art 1982


As it isn't enough for me to digitize and preserve thousands of photos of my artwork and my family history, I am now working alongside another archivist finding and documenting Darkover fan art and activity. I was for many years the chief fan artist of the Darkovans and you know this only too well if you follow this Blog. The fan archivist asked me to find and scan the programs that I saved from every DarkoverCon I've been to. I just don't have the time to scan 30 or so which is what I have but I will scan for now the ones with my cover art and other stuff relevant to my own role in Darkover fandom. This program for DarkoverCon 5 (or "V" Roman) dates from 1982. I was Artist Guest of Honor that year and the Writer Guest was the late Jo Clayton whose name and work recently surfaced on this Blog. I have hundreds of magazines and fan memorabilia, most of them with my art in them, which I intend to donate to collections at two American universities. It is time for me to give my old work a life in research.

This piece was done in the "Scottish Art Nouveau" style. Art Nouveau and Pre-Raphaelitism were styles and artistic movements which I found appropriate for the Celtic-inspired Darkover world.

Ink on illustration board, 5 1/2" x 8 1/2", fall 1982.

No comments: