Friday, June 15, 2018

Phantom Lady


 I gave it a try, I really did. I tried to do action superhero figures. The "Phantom Lady" was a 1940s-era  superhero-ine who had (engineered) powers of casting illusions and shadows, and  could become (or seem to become) immaterial. She wore the common "boob straps" type of female superhero outfit. I think the engineering of the outfit was more fantastic than that of casting shadows. I have seen cosplay attempts at this with varying results. I was trying to prove to myself, as I said, that I could draw action figures. I've done lots of drawing from real models (life drawing) but I generate "realistic" drawings rather than the sexy cartoons for comics. My art school trainers wanted that realist style of drawing. Meanwhile, the little drawing to the right ("Oops") shows what could happen if Phantom Lady tried to fight while wearing her high heeled boots.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 8" x 8", 1993.

No comments: