Thursday, June 14, 2018

Dig we Must


I  was thrilled to emerge from my studio and out of the building to see this fresh new Kubota excavator parked in front. The management was having repairs done to the foundation and brickwork of the building. I suspect it might be damage going all the way back to the earthquake of 2011. I immediately grabbed my folding chair,("Prince Charles' Throne") set it on the front stoop, and drew as residents passed to and fro, peering at my sketch. This digger is bright red but I opted for monochrome for a quieter look. There was dirt spilled all over the grass and the parking lot. I had a brief talk with the operator, who I recognized from his work replacing my balcony glass door. He said that he and his crew were "professional mess makers." I would so love to get in that glass control cabin and work the machine myself. Dig we must! I dig it.

Sepia brown tech pen on sketchbook page, 7 1/2" x 4 1/2", June 13, 2018.

No comments: