Friday, January 18, 2019

20 Years Ago Black Hole TV


Television has been a compulsion long before the Internet and social media. My parents were addicted to it and the tube was on night and day. I couldn't stand it but it dragged me in any time I passed by. It was like a black hole, a flickering light against the black windows of a New England winter. It didn't matter what was on, we would watch it.  As was the custom in those days, they had the remote in their hands and would constantly change the channel so anything I saw was seen only in mixed fragments rather than an understandable whole. It gave me a headache. My father spent the last few years of his life dozing in front of the TV. Don't let this happen to me? Too late, I squander hours of my precious time staring at Facebook. 

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 8" x 6", December 29, 1998. 

Note to Rachel and Jim: My many condolences on the loss of your cat.

1 comment:

Rae Trigg said...

Thanks, Pyra, for the kind words. I'm a bit behind in reading.

--- Rachel