Sunday, May 5, 2019

Deryni Musician at LA-Con 1984


In 1984 I went to Southern California for "LA-Con," that year's World Science Fiction Convention. Of course I had my sketchbook with me and drew whenever I could. Among the attendees was my friend, fantasy author Katherine Kurtz, whose fantasy medieval tales of magical powers and palace intrigue inspired many a costume. This lady wears a costume derived from Kurtz: a Deryni musician. You can tell she's magical from her halo. She holds a mini mandolin, or perhaps a magical ukulele. I dutifully identified this costumer as Sandra Deakins, from San Diego. An internet search for Sandra revealed that as of 2015 she was a long-haul trucker driving an enormous cargo 18-wheeler, and as of 2018 she is back in San Diego as a professional convention organizer.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page (nothing ever changes even in 30 years), 5" x 8", August 31, 1984.

No comments: