Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Harvard Graduate Students 1976


I came back from Europe and went back to graduate school, an experience which proved to be one of the worst times I have ever had. I continued to sketch during my two years there and also produced quite a lot of art even while studying my Greek and Latin. I lived in a somewhat fancy residence which in the past had housed female graduate students in white-glove elegance. This is a sketch of the kitchen and some of the students hanging around. In those days, 1976-77, many students and faculty still smoked and the classrooms and meeting rooms stank of stale tobacco.

Pelikan red-brown ink on sketchbook page, 5" x 7 1/2", fall 1976.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

This is excellent. Did the bad experience bring out the best in you?

Pyracantha said...

Stacey: I don't think my bad years at Harvard brought out anything good for me, though I did learn valuable research skills. I didn't go back to academia until 15 years later, as an independent scholar.