Saturday, April 7, 2012

Dragon Wings 2



You can't get too far away from the bat wing design for dragons' wings, unless you put feathers on it and make a birdlike dragon. When the "traditional" dragon was imagined, thousands of years ago, people didn't know anything about dinosaurs, yet alone pterosaurs. But people knew what bat wings looked like. As you remember, I found that out personally when a bat flew into my apartment. Fortunately, I haven't had any more critter intrusions. As for dragons, I'll continue to work on wings. These are from Sandra Staple's book. The colorful dragon diagram at the upper left is the result of my testing some colored pencils I inherited. Those colors, purple and mineral green, go into storage as they don't match the Virginia landscape. The yellow-green, though, is perfect for all those fresh spring leaves just coming out now. I'll retrieve the purple pencils when the Cabernet Franc grapes are ripe.

Dragon wings studies are pencils on sketchbook page, 8" x 10", April 7, 2012.

Note in memoriam: I am shocked to hear of the passing of Thomas Kinkade. He and his art were reviled by anyone "respectable" in the art world. They called his work "kitsch" and "saccharine" and much worse. But I've always liked it and had a fondness for Kinkade's paintings. I hope to write more in a later post.

No comments: