Sunday, May 20, 2012

Virginia Wine and Craft Festival


Finally! Some new "urban sketching" from me. I went to the Virginia Wine and Craft Festival in Front Royal, Virginia, which I do every May. Numerous wineries set up their tasting booths and many vendors attend with trinkets and fragrant things to sell. I tasted a lot of wine of varying quality, ate some festival food, and bought a pewter grapevine pin and a set of homemade soaps. 

Front Royal is about 75 miles from Washington, DC and takes about an hour and a half for me to get there through the traffic. There are a lot of fine old wooden buildings there, especially houses with porches, which I love to draw. I once considered moving there but could not find a good place to rent. Front Royal is just far enough away from the Metro DC area that it has not been invaded and overbuilt by the yuppie and corporate interests, though it may happen sooner or later.

Two sketches are ink on sketchbook page, about 7" x 10", May 19, 2012.

1 comment:

Damon Pla said...

Ah yes, Front Royal. We pass heading out to I81 for our georgia family visits. Nice sketches. Sounds like you had a great time.