Friday, June 22, 2012

Mexican Menu Hungry Dragon


I had dragons on my mind even long ago back in my Paco's Tacos era. This long spindly fellow wrapped himself and his red-trimmed black wings over the slab announcing the Dinner Special. I found a spiffy Gothick Victorian font to letter the "Dinner Special" words and price, and the rest of the letters were made up by me from medieval examples. At that time I was reading a lot of Michael Moorcock's "Elric" stories so I was enjoying a kind of Victorian fantasy decadence with dragons. I'd love to go back to those classic fantasy stories and try illustrating them again. I'm thinking about what comes next in the studio.

"Hungry Dragon" menu sign is markers on posterboard, 22" x 13", winter 1979. Colors restored in Photoshop.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

Well, you know I love Elric! But this dragon looks a bit like a chicken or turkey to me. I think it is the head and maybe the coloring that does it...oh well :)