Monday, June 11, 2012

Mexican Menu Led Zeppelin


When I asked my co-workers and customers at Paco's Tacos what they wanted to see on upcoming menu boards, many of them recommended music-related topics. The first one I did from such suggestions was Led Zeppelin. Back in the late '70s Led Zeppelin's popularity was at its peak. They were so popular that even I had heard many of their songs and I was not a rock fan or listener. So I bought a rock music fan magazine at Nini's Corner, the legendary newsstand in the heart of Harvard Square, and derived my menu decorations from photos of the band performing. To the left is singer Robert Plant and at right is guitarist Jimmie Page. I didn't have room to put the drummer and keyboardist in performance so I just threw them into the background. This menu board was unusual in that I tried to adopt a more sketchy, "action" style to give the feeling of exciting rock music, but since I couldn't get them all into the action it isn't quite successful. However it was colorful and people recognized who it was.

"Led Zeppelin" is markers on posterboard, 21" x 13", winter 1979.

No comments: