Thursday, August 15, 2013

No Longer a Stop


The train doesn't stop here any more, unfortunately for Orange, VA. In the old days of the early 20th century, the train on its way to Washington would stop here in this Central Virginia town. Now it's mostly freight trains loaded with coal, wood, chemicals, or other mysterious stuff sealed in containers. Three burly black-and-white Norfolk Southern locomotives pull them along. I saw two pass by while I drew this drawing of Orange's old railway station.

I managed to get this entry posted despite being driven from my apartment to a hotel room by the noise of rats in my walls. They are attempting to chew through the drywall to get into my dwelling. The exterminator has been called and I hope that they come here soon. Only the latest stress factor in what has not been a good year so far.

Orange Railway Station is Pitt technical pen ink on Moleskine page, 5" x 4 1/2", August 9, 2013.

No comments: