Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Chasm of Nihrain


Here's some very vintage art of mine that is not a wine vintage but fantasy art. It's based on a scene from Michael Moorcock's "Elric" series in which the albino exiled sorceror king rides with stone Titans down a mountain chasm into their rock-cut city. The warlike Titans drive yellow chariots and live by firelight. I became a fan of the Elric stories when I was in Europe in 1976. 

This picture was done while I was a graduate student, just back from Europe. I did the art on a little table in a dorm room instead of my studies. I am amazed at how much good art I did back then with so little space and time to do it. Or perhaps I did have more time as I didn't have a day job the way I do now. Graduate school was wasted on me anyway. 

"The Chasm of Nihrain" is ink and watercolor on sketchbook paper, 10" x 14", September 1976. Click on the image for a larger view.

2 comments:

Tristan Alexander said...

Amazing!! I want you to do a book with things like this and your other fantasy buildings in it!!

Pyracantha said...

Tristan: Let's do the wine book first. I have 18 finished pages now.