Thursday, December 25, 2014

Cambridge Architectural Details


As you have seen from other architectural drawings I've posted here, Cambridge, Massachusetts is full of beautifully wrought woodwork and house details. This facade has a handsome mansard roof and woodcarved cornices on all the floors. The porch with its archways is especially impressive. I did dozens of studies of these buildings on site but I believe this one was done from a photograph as it is just too precise to be done outdoors sitting on a shaky stool. Also the branches are bare which means the image was taken in wintertime, when it would be too cold to draw outdoors.

The trim was painted a lovely mint green though you can't see it from this image. I rescued this photograph from a very faded poor image in my files. I never get tired of drawing these old houses and I wish more of them had survived in Northern Virginia.

Brown ink and watercolor on illustration board, about 8" x 11", November 1980.

Mildly sorry for the lack of seasonal references and best regards, but I'm just not that into it. Instead, I wish you strength to get through the next three months of winter.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

Another amazing building drawing. I would love to see a book of your buildings!