Saturday, December 27, 2014

Holiday Roomscape


If you have a holiday display, you will also have an increase in clutter in your home. Even if your display is a wonder of sweet order, you have not changed the amount of disorder in your dwelling. You have simply moved it somewhere else. All those pretty things need to be protected and kept in boxes, right? Here they are. After decades of storage and removal and re-packing, the boxes look a little worn. But there's always room for more. Remember to save a sample of especially nice wrapping paper or a lavish christmas card. Try to recycle the rest. In the old days when I was growing up, we had a real fireplace that burned wood and paper. We would throw the colorful wrapping paper into the fire and watch as the ink burned in flames of unusual colors: pink, green, blue fire! Some of the ornaments of my childhood holidays are still packed away in a box, waiting until I live in a more spacious place with a real full size tree to adorn. Thinking about that possible future makes me too nervous to even speak so I will stop now.

I hope you all had a good holiday, no matter what you did to celebrate. 

What's in this picture anyway? Ornament box, which also stores the miniature tree. Somewhat twisted plastic clothes rack, with two very fuzzy knitted scarves draped over it. A black seat pillow. A bookcase. On top of the bookcase, a cheesy porcelain "Goddess" statuette and some ceramic cat mini sculptures. Vertical lines drawn with a ruler, so sue me for use of technology.

This is the last drawing in my Moleskine sketchbook. Pages are all occupied now. I will be starting two new sketchbooks for 2015 and I hope I get to fill them up with good and bloggable drawings.

"Roomscape" is technical pen ink on sketchbook page, 5" x 8", December 26, 2014.

No comments: