Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Colin Bowness at home

 


Colin Bowness and his wife Una were British expatriates who had come to live in the affluent Boston suburb of Weston, near my folks' home. Colin was a physicist, engineer, and inventor who had worked at the famous tech firm Raytheon, where he designed and marketed lasers in their early days. He loved to play tennis which is how he met my father, at a local tennis club where they spent summers on the courts. Colin loved music (he built his own harpsichord from a kit) and art (he collected some of my mother's art as well as British modernists). His house in the forest had a big glassed-in living/dining room where we could see the woodsy wildlife without disturbing them. Colin and Una were great friends with my parents and I liked them too. It was our custom to visit the Bownesses at their beautiful home on New Year's Day, where we could watch deer and woodpeckers and other creatures.

I miss Colin and Una and their lovely lifestyle but I'm sure they are both gone now. You can see some of their elegant home interior on this page.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" , January 1, 1999.

No comments: