Saturday, October 3, 2020

Roman Blue Sky 1975

When I used to walk around Rome doing drawings, I would marvel at the bright colors so many buildings displayed. A common color among older buildings was a brilliant but slightly tawny orange. Almost any building from the 19th century earlier would be this flowery color, even a church. The sky was intensely clear and blue. I tried to reproduce this orange-and-blue combination here in a 1975 study of a corner of "Santa Maria Sopra Minerva." The title translates to "Saint Mary's built on top of a temple of Minerva." 

Pencil and colored pencils on sketchbook page, 5" x 10", Rome 1975.

1 comment:

Todd Camplin said...

For a moment I thought it was abstract work, but then I looked again after your post, and the building popped out at me. Great contrast of color.