Thursday, October 29, 2020

The cluttered back room 1999

 


Look, another cluttered back room! Slovenly hippies! Where is this? No respectable person would stay here. You can just smell the pot, right!

Well, no. That's my room in the back of my parents' house. I never touched weed. The disheveled area in the center is my bed - a large air mattress covered with old fabric. I used the air mattress because the cot my folks placed here for me was so uncomfortable. Later on when we were dismantling the room in 2017 we found that the cot was completely infested with mouse nests. This room also contained larger artworks by my mother and debris from my father's electronic assemblies. You can see all sorts of stored stuff here: piles of towels, lots of duffel bags, stacks of books, small lamps, a space heater, art exhibit furniture from my mother's studio. I slept on the dust-covered floor.

I am so, so glad that I don't have to go here any more. It is 5 years since my mother passed away and there is no "here" left there.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 5 1/2" x 8 1/2", January 1, 1999.

No comments: