Saturday, December 20, 2008

Barista



Sketchers are always drawing the customers drinking coffee at Starbucks (and other coffee houses) but not too many depict the people who make it possible, namely the baristas. If you go to a coffee house often, you will make friends with the people who work there, not only the ones who prepare the coffee but the ones who clean up the place and work in the back doing accounts, inventory, etc. I like to draw pictures of these people.

This guy in the green apron has worked at my regular Starbucks for more than 5 years. He also used to work at Trader Joe's. In October 2003, he told me that Trader Joe's was hiring artists, and that I should go show some of the work I had done for Starbucks to the Trader Joe's people. The rest was history, at least for me. Now I've been at TrJ's more than 5 years. Starbucks people work very hard and they deserve "venti" cups of respect.

No comments: