Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Lost Amusements




In the early and mid-80s I had a friend who was obsessed with amusement parks. She and I would go to parks on the Massachusetts coast, and while she was knocking herself silly on rides and the roller coaster, I would draw pictures. This one was done sometime in 1984 at the Salisbury Beach amusement area on Massachusetts' north shore. It depicts the "Himalaya," a carousel-like ride which also bumped you up and down. I still remember the barker calling out "And now we're gonna go around REAL FAST!" 

The picture has faded a lot since I drew it, so I decided to restore the colors with Photoshop. Even so, there isn't much I can do to enhance the brown ink lines, which are now a pale orangish color. For all I know, the "Himalaya" ride still exists. There is still an amusement park at Salisbury Beach. Maybe I'll go there again someday.

1 comment:

Himalaya Man said...

Hello. My name is Tyrone, and I'm also known as "Himalaya's biggest fan". Have you ever visited my website which is based on the classic Himalaya rides such as the very one fron Shaheen's

www.freewebs.com/revehimi