Saturday, June 19, 2010

State Theater



The State Theater is a Falls Church landmark. It was originally built in the Deco era as you can see by the ornaments. It was a movie theater for years but declined in the 80s until it was almost abandoned. But instead Falls Church investors refurbished it and turned it into a place for live rock shows, jazz, country, and nostalgia acts. Bands who flourished in the 70s and are still around, play here.

I've depicted it in classic Hopper-style "ashcan school" look, in the slanting light and long shadows of winter. This painting was created for a show I had at a local gallery, "Art and Frame of Falls Church," in June 2007. My theme was "Buildings of Falls Church." I titled this one "Nostalgic State."

"Nostalgic State" is watercolor and ink on illustration board, 11" x 14", May 2007.

4 comments:

Tristan Alexander said...

Normally I find paintigs of buildings like this kind of boring...but this has a nice feel and overall I think I like it!
On a side note, what is your oppinion of Talent?

Pyracantha said...

Tristan, I'm not sure what you mean by "Talent." Like, is it necessary for an artist to have "talent" to be any good? Or is that the title of something I have missed? Please clarify.

rhh said...

I remember when you posted this on your old (Electron) site. I didn't pay much attention since Falls Church was not an important place for me.

Now with my younger daugther there, why don't you run your whole "Art and Frame of Falls Church" again.

Great work!!!

Ralph

Pyracantha said...

Ralph: Thanks for posting! Next time you come to visit your daughter, e-mail me beforehand!