Monday, July 4, 2011

The Delaware Druid



Here's another fantasy portrait of a real person. I have known this gentleman for more than thirty years, though since he lives relatively far away from me in Delaware, I don't get to meet with him. He is a leader in the Neo-Pagan religious movement and has helped give this modern re-creation some intellectual depth. Two major religions originated in the nineteenth century CE: Baha'i and Mormonism. The twentieth century gave us Neo-paganism in its many different forms. Modern Pagans, though they originally claimed to be reviving the authentic practices of pre-Christian antiquity, now admit that their practices are new, invented, and adapted to modern life. There is a mythic element to this religious movement which makes it attractive to science fiction and fantasy fans as well as computer programmers and engineers. Without a single authoritative Scripture (such as the Bible or the Koran), Neo-Pagans work out their own theology, stories, and rituals. Though I am not a Pagan, I've been happy to help my Pagan friends all along and hope to continue doing so through my art.

The "Delaware Druid" is acrylic on illustration board, 9" x 11", November 1986.

No comments: