Monday, July 11, 2011

Vikings miniature



Here's another archaeological find and restoration from my slide archive. "Michael Le-Sear" was the "Society for Creative Anachronism" name identity of the guy who commissioned this namebadge from me. He was a Navy veteran and wanted a nautical theme, preferably Vikings. So I did this scene for him, Viking ships with the blue line of the New World's land at their horizon. The thing at the left of the name didn't come out well in the photograph; it is a carved dragon prow. There's a lot of space incorporated in this teeny weeny piece. I enjoyed making these tiny compositions full of detail, and I especially enjoyed adding lettering. The original is now long-lost to the winds of time.

Viking nametag miniature is 3 1/2" x 2 1/4," ink and watercolor on Fabriano paper, spring 1982.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

Love the vast expanse of ocean and sky and the great persspective on thgis tiny picture. I realy like this one.