Monday, September 19, 2011

The Street Fighter of Tyr Moel


Ricardo, known as "Ricky," was a late-comer to the Tyr Moel group. He was one of the very rare Black and/or Latino science fiction fans back then. In those days, fandom was pretty much all-white and all-English speaking in America. This situation is finally changing after many decades. Ricky played the role of a street fighter or "bravo" as they used to be called. Note the "Tyr Moel" inscription on his blue bottle.

Ricky modeled for me in a costume, as did many of the others. I still have their photos somewhere. As with the others, I wonder what happened to Ricky. Maybe I shouldn't wonder too much. Maybe it's better not to find out. I recently found out what became of another friend from that era, and it was not pretty.

Ricardo's miniature portrait is ink and watercolor on Fabriano paper, 3 1/2" x 5 1/2", fall 1981.

No comments: