Saturday, January 5, 2013

Another Warhammer helm


My design for this helmet and armor comes from Renaissance parade armor and a bit of the old robotic Cylons in the original "Battlestar Galactica." The defining Warhammer factor is the huge pauldrons (shoulder guards) which are part of every Space Marine armor design, and probably copyright as well. In researching armor designs I have come across numerous Websites which offer custom-made costumes and real suits of armor and amazing amounts of stuff you can get for yourself to wear in live action role-playing or conventioneering or re-enacting or SCA or amateur film making or whatever. All you need is enough money to pay for it and you can look like a real knight. I am astonished at how many sites offer full sets of metal armor and a vast amount of costumes. Many of these are in Europe. In earlier days only the film or theatrical community would have access to such resources. Now anyone with the Internet and the bucks can have whatever they dream of. Was there always someone making this stuff for people to play in, or has the world gotten better at creating and marketing these things? And where is my Athena costume with a silver Greek helmet and my snakey breastplate? All right, I'm not statuesque enough for Athena. I'll have to think of another identity to dress myself up.

Warhammer helm is markers on sketchbook page, 4" x 5", January 5, 2013.

2 comments:

Mike (Altus) said...

:D

Tristan Alexander said...

Nice! And I am sure many of the armorers can mak ethe Athena armor for you!