Friday, April 26, 2013

Grotesque Bird Helmet


I've always loved helmets. I wanted one badly when I was a kid, but never got one. I should have made one for myself out of papier mache and a balloon, but I never thought of it. Now I have dozens of books and image files of armor and helmets and other fanciful wearable metalwork, and I do pen and ink studies of grotesque and fantastic armor. This head and shoulder piece is based on an engraving of real Renaissance parade armor, which as its title suggests was never meant for warfare, only for display. Though the beak face looks like it has eyes, the actual openings to see through are in the "forehead" of the piece, two rectangular slits. Maybe I'll do the rest of the set sometime, with some equally artistic weaponry and a touch of secret science fiction technology.

Fantastic armor is black ink on sketchbook page, 5" x 3 1/2", April 26, 2013. Colored in Photoshop.

No comments: