Saturday, April 27, 2013

Seven Rings of Raggador


Some of you who are comics fans will remember Doctor Strange, the "Sorcerer Supreme." He is my favorite Marvel character and I have many Doctor Strange comic books in my collection. He is one of the few outright magic user heroes, using his magic powers for good rather than evil. In this colorful sketch I depict Doctor Strange invoking one of his spells, the "Seven Rings of Raggador." I figured that these rings would be in rainbow colors since there are seven of them but I did not put them in rainbow order. My artistic/scientific mistake. It is almost always tacky to put rainbow colors in a picture, anyway. Dr. Strange is borne into space with his big red Cloak of Levitation, with a golden brocade border (GREAT costume and Marvel has tinkered with it far too much over the years) and his yellow leopard spotted spellcasting gloves. Now where is the big budget CGI-packed movie for this Marvel character?

Doctor Strange and the Seven Rings are acrylic on black illustration board, 7" x 10", January 1987. Heavily restored in Photosorcery; the original slide was in bad shape.

1 comment:

Rae Trigg said...

This is beautiful, Pyra. I like Dr. Strange, too.and it would be nice if they made a movie. Unfortunately, Hollywood probably doesn't think he's flashy enough.