Sunday, July 28, 2013

Wining in the Rain


I wine, rain or shine. So when Wine Saturday turned rainy, I just kept going. My destination was Morais Vineyards, a place I hadn't been before. Morais is run by a Portuguese immigrant who brought Portuguese wine traditions and grape varieties to Virginia. There was excellent sipping but how was I to do my winery sketches? I was directed to one of their decks where there was a dry place under an overhanging eave and even better, a large umbrella, usually for sunlit drinkers but now keeping me rain-free while I did the drawings above. I was delighted with this umbrella, which stood alone without a table around it, and I'd love to have one for outdoor sketching. But it was large and heavy and perhaps not the thing for small-scale outdoor art. Still, I loved sitting in the rain under the garden umbrella. I drew one of their vintage trucks (literally vintage, with wine barrels as cargo) and went indoors to draw some of their wine vats. 

The countryside colors are very different in the rain and I am glad that I was able to do a rainy weather sketch for my winery scenery collection. I hope to go back to Morais and make it a regular stop on my wining way.

Colored pencil and brown Pitt technical pen on sketchbook page, about 7 1/2" x 11", July 27, 2013.

No comments: