Thursday, January 2, 2014

Cambridge Winter Twilight January 1, 1981


This was the opening page of my 1981 illustrated journal. It depicts the houses and bare trees of my Cambridge, Mass. neighborhood at twilight on January 1. The white rectangle in the center is where the writing goes. At that time I was much influenced by Art Nouveau and late 19th century graphics, which placed text frames among illustration frames. I am planning to use the frame-and-illustration graphic theme for my new 2014 illustrated journal. But I won't use watercolor as I did here. The watercolor didn't give me a nice solid color, it crinkled the paper, and it made some of the ink blurred, too. I have markers to do the coloring this time around. 

Opening the long-blocked box to my earlier journals has brought me a rich collection of small art done by me over the decades. I'll be scanning and presenting the best of them as this new year goes on. The subject matter goes from super-realism to fantasy to abstraction. I'm still working on new art too of course. Stay tuned to this Blog for your quality art and art by-products. Thanks for your support.

Ink and watercolor on sketchbook page, 8 1/2" x 11", January 1981.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

aptslvor past
Love this. If you ever do a book of your archetectural art this would be a great as a page.