Friday, January 24, 2014

Digital Desert


Time to get digital again. There is a practice technique done among professional digital illustrators called a "speed-paint," where you produce a small painting of an environment or a character or whatever, in about a half hour. That is, on your work break or some other slice of time in your busy life. Another name for one of these, made up by some clever or bored artists here on this Tumblr blog, is a "spitpaint." This is a good way to get some work done in digital medium and figure out problems outside of formal art assignments. I want to add a line of speed (or spit) paints to my By-Product so I can keep learning digital art. Because despite the cranking of watercolor traditionalists and oil masters, I can get more fantasy art done with digital works, especially if they're on my iPad. And I don't have to draw pictures of a wastebasket or a Starbucks Coffee drinker. 

Here's a speedpaint (well, about an hour's worth) of some desert ruins, or what Dubai might look like after a few thousand years.

Photoshop, about 6 1/2" x 3", January 23, 2014.

No comments: