Saturday, February 27, 2016

My Neighbor the Jedi


My neighbors' son wanted me to do his portrait as a Jedi Knight, so I drew him brandishing his light-saber. Back in those days I'd draw my portrait subject in freehand pencil but I admit guiltily that when I do a portrait these days I use photographs. I even enlarge the photograph and trace it so I get just what I want, and I enhance it later. He wanted a sort of spacesuit look for his costume, so I made it up. I think he was pleased with the final results though since my photo of the portrait was really poor I don't have much of a record of it.

He wanted to be a Jedi but for him the closest thing was the military. He became a medical officer and flew countless missions in various war zones saving wounded people from the battlefields and bringing them home. I have no call to be any kind of knight or warrior or rescuer so I am awed by people who sincerely make this their life work. He's been in the military almost 30 years. There are real Jedi I guess.

Pencil on sketchbook page, about 9" x 6", May 12, 1982.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Your neighbor's son does mighty works that enhance the Force, but anyone who lives by, or attempts to live by the Code can be a Jedi. All life is supported by the Force, so anyone can be a Jedi.