Saturday, March 19, 2016

Crushed Hat of the Cat


The traffic got the best of Dr. Seuss' "Cat in the Hat" in my neighborhood. I found his famous hat crushed at the crossing. The Cat must have escaped, but his hat is history. Dr. Seuss published "Cat in the Hat" in 1957 when I was just a wee thing, but I never really paid much attention to his kiddie fare. I was busy reading the Bible and stories from Greek mythology. But Dr. Seuss characters would be recognizable to most any American middle-class person from the mid-century era onward. Don't worry, it's only his hat and the Cat will be back to amuse youngsters and cause domestic mayhem again.

I tried to draw this outdoors but it was still a bit too cold and windy to work on site. I snapped some pictures with my modern gadget and finished the drawing indoors with the photo as reference. A more macho artist would have done it all on site, but I'm a cupcake, not beef jerky.

Black tech pen ink on sketchbook page, about 4 1/2" x 5", March 18, 2016. Color tint added in Photoshop.

No comments: