Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Friend as Model


I needed a mythical lady for a commission I was working on so I persuaded a good friend to pose for me. This was for a science fiction illustration from a book where the people on board a lost spaceship role-played King Arthur's Court in Camelot. The lady was supposed to be Guinevere, I guess. I created the hair, dress, and heraldic shield, and my friend posed in her ordinary clothes. The hands look too big because I was too close to the figure and I didn't take that into account. 

You can see the finished painting here. I haven't made my friends model for some time but if there were something that they would fit into, I would ask again. 

Pencil on (yellowed old) sketchbook page, about 9" x 8", September 1982.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

The finished painting has some very Pre-Raphaelite looking faces in it. And yes, the hands look to large in this sketch, but you knew that :)