Thursday, March 17, 2016

DC Cherry Blossoms



Do you like the color pink? If so, then in the next two weeks you will have your fill of it if you live in the Northern Hemisphere temperate zones, as Spring approaches and trees flower. Here in the Metro Washington DC area the famous - dare I say "iconic?" cherry blossoms will open and the spectators will fill the streets and parks beholding them. Right now the iconic Capitol building is covered with unsightly scaffolding and it looks kind of like a mesh wastebasket upside down, so stick with the trees. 

I made this design for the program book and T shirt design for a now-defunct science fiction convention called "Disclave," which used to meet in late spring. I was Art Guest of Honor, the only larger regional convention I've ever been Guest at. I incorporated a selection of iconic Washington buildings and monuments into the composition, and I also added some iconic Masonic motifs for those who know the symbolism. The iconic Eternal Flame at JFK's tomb can be seen in the center.

Original is ink on illustration board, 7 1/2" x 10", May 1996. Pink color added in Photoshop.

No comments: