Friday, August 26, 2016

CBS Cone


I am at my usual spot in the front of Starbucks and have my sketchbook next to the coffee. I have to draw something. The road cone is mounted on the back of a service truck and looks interesting due to its geometric shape. I draw it quickly because I know that the service truck driver guy will be coming back soon to drive it away. Here he comes. I need to know something: What does the CBS  on the cone mean? I dash out the door leaving my coffee and catch him before he runs away: What do the initials stand for. He is baffled that anyone would want to know this. It stands for "Constellation Building Systems," which builds and works on air conditioners, heaters, plumbing, ventilation, and other infrastructure like that. I show the driver the drawing and he's impressed. Like most people who look at my sketches, they say they "can't draw, not even a straight line." I usually reply, that's why they have rulers.(Which I don't use drawing straight lines in sketches.) Then the driver escapes and drives away. I'm sure this was the most interesting thing which happened to him all day, that someone drew a picture of a ROAD CONE. 

There wasn't enough drawing on the page so I drew part of the car in back of the truck, a bright yellow Mustang with a nasty mean face.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 5" x 5", August 25, 2016.

No comments: