Friday, August 12, 2016

Deryni Pageantry


I am a longtime fan of Katherine Kurtz's "Deryni" world and writing, as well as a good friend of Katherine herself. She packs her books with vivid descriptive scenes that inspire me as an illustrator. Many years ago when she published the first two series I did some experiments on how I could best present these books as illustrated work. These black and white images would be a cross between the work of H.J Ford in the various colorful fairy tale books, and the perennial favorite set in medieval times, "Prince Valiant." This illustration above was one of my experiments, mixing printed text with ink drawing. I went on to do other sample varieties including some "traditional" comic book pages, but didn't publish any of it except in fan zines.

Black ink and computer-printed text, 7 1/2" x 9", August-September 1993.

No comments: